The Ritz • London 2015 Artist - TAG. Installed October 2015

On 30th December 1935, The Ritz Cinema (designed by Major W.J. King) opened as part of the scheme which included the new Turnpike Lane tube station and bus station, designed by London Transport’s architect Charles Holden.


The opening 'picture' featured Clark Gable in “China Seas” and Ricardo Cortez in “Sing Me A Love Song”. The Ritz Cinema was built for and operated by Associated British Cinemas (ABC), with seating for 1,271 in the stalls and 579 in the circle. It was re-named ABC from 9th October 1961, updating to the triple-screen ABC 1,2,3 on 29th September 1977. The final incarnation as a picture theatre came in July 1988, when it was taken over by the Independent Coronet Cinemas chain and re-named the Coronet Cinema.

In August 1999 London Transport demolished the 1930’s bus station to make way for a larger depot, the cinema also consumed as part of the new scheme.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Based on the success of TAG's Palace Gates artwork, we began a dialogue with UK Power Networks to adopt a similar heritage-focussed installation at their larger substation site two streets away on Carlingford Road, London N15. It seemed obvious to commemorate the former Ritz Cinema - with a celebration of the Golden Age of Movies.

This began a year-long process to obtain the usage rights for some of the characters we proposed to incorporate. With a to-and-fro dialogue between London N15 and east and west coast movie studios based in the United States, consent was eventually given to allow some classic movie characters to form The Ritz.


-





View the larger movie HERE

As well as extending our gratitude to UK Power Networks, TAG would also like to thank:

Roy Export S.A.S./Bubbles Inc SA
Felix the Cat Productions
Cinematographische Commerz-Anstalt
Larry Harmon Pictures



Click DONATE to support the Turnpike Art Group


Visit our online gallery shop HERE